Brassica oleracea ssp. acephala
Kale, also known as Chou Moeller, is the most cold-tolerant of all forage brassica
- varieties can be short and tall (2 m)
- flat, long Leaves.
- High leaf to stem ratio
- yellow, flowers l produce seed pods containing tiny round seeds.
- Rainfall more than 650 mm required or irrigation
- Plant as a mixture plantain, chicory, white clover, red clover
- Sow in spring for grazing in autumn-winter
- Drought tolerant, winter-active fodder crop with excellent feeding value
- provide autumn-winter grazing in ~5-6 months after sowing
- can tolerate a broad pH range. Ensure Mo and B not deficient.
- Cold tolerant and can stand heavy frosts
- slow growing Brassica
- requires high soil fertility and high levels of moisture.
- Susceptible to pests slugs, Aphis, cabbage white butterfly, diamond black moth, cutworms, leafminers.Major diseases
- disorders/toxicity Monitor stock for scouring, nitrate poisoning
- Avoid unrestricted access begin with 1-2 hr access daily and take 7-10 days before reach maximum allowance
Sowing/planting rates as single species
3 - 5 kg/ha. A high rate improves stem quality and aids a rapid early yield. Sow shallow (5-10 mm) in a finely worked firm, moist seedbed, cover with roller/mesh. Only suitable for direct-drilling in friable soil.
Sowing/planting rates in mixtures
PRODUCT INFOI'm a product detail. I'm a great place to add more information about your product such as sizing, material, care and cleaning instructions. This is also a great space to write what makes this product special and how your customers can benefit from this item.
RETURN & REFUND POLICYI’m a Return and Refund policy. I’m a great place to let your customers know what to do in case they are dissatisfied with their purchase. Having a straightforward refund or exchange policy is a great way to build trust and reassure your customers that they can buy with confidence.
SHIPPING INFOI'm a shipping policy. I'm a great place to add more information about your shipping methods, packaging and cost. Providing straightforward information about your shipping policy is a great way to build trust and reassure your customers that they can buy from you with confidence.