Bromus stamineus Desv
A special-purpose grass for well-drained, fertile, high pH soils.
closely related to prairie grass
- Is a very stock palatable grass
- best on medium to light soils
- produces a high-quality persistent pasture with strong winter growth
- drought tolerance.
- useful as a special-purpose pasture for quality winter and summer feed on free-draining, less fertile soils
- mixes well with clovers.
- planted further inland in NZ the low winter temperatures reduce its cool-season advantage
- requires close, frequent grazing
- does not persist in wet situations
- best sown when the soil temperature is at 10C or above.
- Suggested sow rate: 25-30 kg/ha alone